Thursday, April 16, 2009

It's Time to Get Away

So here I am. I promised myself I'd go to bed early so I could be up in time for a workout, but it's one in the morning and my mind feels like it's awoken from some sort of sluggish sleep and is now chug, chug, chugging into its regular rhythm. I have a feeling it's going to be this way until I'm off on my First Holiday as a Travel Writer.

I've got grandiose plans for my big foray into the world of travel journalism but there's no harm starting safe, is there? Nothing wrong with getting your feet wet in the splash pool before you make arrangements for a dive off the deep end.

Turns out I've got a travel story all lined up for me already - my parents are going on a rather intricate, well-planned holiday and I'm joining them for one leg of it, which is a cruise around the Baltic Sea. My room's got a nice big balcony so I can gaze out on endless swathes of deep blue ocean and we'll be visiting Copenhagen, Berlin, Helsinki, Stockholm, St. Petersburg and Tallinn, Estonia on the way. There are also, amongst other things, about fourteen restaurants on board and a massive gym, which should provide me hours of the daily stipulated eat vs. workout quandary. Maybe this time I'll even manage to fit both into the day.

I have a good feeling about quitting - I'm only doing it once I'm back from the cruise, but there's a fair amount lined up after that to keep me busy. Here's a look at work / travel plans for the year.

May / June: Baltic Sea Cruise

July: A trip to Houston and Los Angeles for two weddings, some sightseeing, a whole lot of shopping and quality time with family and friends.

August: A diving trip to Palawan, which is known as the last frontier for its thousands of square miles of unadulterated beach, white sands, azure waters and its reputation as a top-secret celebrity hideaway. I'm going to get my diving certificate - I went snorkeling in Mexico last year and knew I'd be spending more time underwater - and clocking in a couple of hours at the hotel spa, which, if all works out, will include the Amanpulo. As with all Aman resorts, this one is said to be spectacular. It's set on its own private island, which looks like this:
November: This is tentative, but a trip to Florence is on the radar. I've been meaning to go back since I first visited when I was 15. Over a week of wandering its alleys, several viewings of the David and eating real gnocchi for lunch; I can hardly wait.

The best part? I'm visiting most of these places on work.

La vie, c'est bon.

1 comments:

Sandy Arles April 22, 2009 at 11:00 PM  

I'm jealous of your job! You're a great writer my friend, and even thought we're not allowed to like each other professionally, well.. you'll be my dirty little secret :)

Thanks for stopping by! You're visitor number

Hit Counters

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP